Tuesday, 30 August 2011

Lentil Success and French Toast

A had an adventurous day yesterday with lots of new foods.

We had some disappointing bread from the store and wanted to make French Toast, so I decided to make some for A, too. I cut the bread into 'fingers', soaked it in egg yolk, cinnamon and a bit of breastmilk and cooked it in the pan. A seemed to love it and devoured the whole portion. I avoided using egg whites, but in truth, there are whole eggs in the bread I used to make the toast, so how is that different?

A's second new food was lentil 'logs'. I cooked lentils with some chopped carrots in water and pureed it. I also threw in some sauteed onions and garlic and leftover squash and sweet potato we had from last week. I put it in the fridge to solidify a bit and formed it into log shapes. I dredged the logs in flower and baked them at 400F for about twenty minutes. They were solid enough for A to get ahold of them, but fell apart without too much pressure from her. She managed to get quite a bit in her mouth and swallowed most of that! The best part is that I could reform pieces she could hold with the leftovers because they're just that mushy, so there was less waste than with other things we've tried. We have a few more we'll give her today.

All in all, an excellent eating day. Now I have to come up with some more new foods for her. Any suggestions? What have your kids liked most?

6 comments:

Gabrielle said...

I'm new to BLW and I'm using it with my second son. So far, he's loving it. However, one thing I've noticed is that a lot of BLW folks don't follow the recommendations of most pediatricians in waiting a few days before introducing a new food. My baby had bananas last Thursday for the first time. He ended up with quite a rash and he vomited during his naptime later that day. I'm quite glad we waited between foods. What are your thoughts on waiting between foods? We actually do not have a family history of food allergies.

newblwer said...

Thanks for your comment, Gabrielle. I've noticed something similar. Even with our daughter, I honestly just got bored myself and wanted to move a bit faster. You're totally right that I'm running the risk of not knowing what she's reacting to if anything poses a problem. So, I'd say it's a good idea to wait, even though I haven't necessarily practiced what I'm preaching. ;)

Does anyone in your family have a latex allergy?

Mel_x said...

These sound yummy!! I will try with Evelyn when we get going! Would you put them into the recipe section?

To Gabrielle, I didn't wait as long as recommended between foods either. What I have seen in action is that babies often avoid food they are intollerent too...so I have been fairly blase with George.

Hope the reaction wasn't too bad

love

Mel x

Gabrielle said...

No one has a latex allergy that I'm aware of, though of course I came across this when I googled banana allergy. I'm hoping it's just an intolerance, but we'll see.

I read the bit about babies avoiding foods their allergic to in BLW, but in practice, my son loved the bananas and totally pigged out on them. I was thrilled and thought we'd found a great breakfast food until I found him covered in vomit after his naptime. Ah, fun stuff with little ones. You never know what to expect!

Mel_x said...

Oh Gabrielle that sucks!

I'm sorry. xx

Mel_x said...

Oh Gabrielle that sucks!

I'm sorry. xx