Saturday, 13 September 2008

Hoummus, coconut couscous

Had a cookathon today, as I want to get R onto slightly more substantial meals than just random bits of fruit and veg.

First I made hoummus. One can of Tesco organic chick peas (they have no salt), roughly mashed, then blended with the other ingredients. The trick with hoummus, I find, is to add way more liquid than you would expect. So I used about 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 3 of natural yoghurt and several good glugs of bottled lemon juice. Next time I'll add garlic, but I'm avoiding tahini at the moment because it contains the same allergen as peanuts do.

He had the hoummus spread on a rice cake for lunch, and seemed to enjoy it. He also had one with cream cheese, and some tomato pieces on the side.

Then he had some coconut couscous for dinner. This is based on a recipe in Carol Timperly's Vegetarian Baby and Child, one of my favourite books. Phoebe used to eat a lot of it when she was younger (she won't eat it now, of course).

I did 200ml carton of coconut cream, 2 tablespoons demerara sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 400ml water. Boil, make sure sugar is dissolved, stir in 8oz couscous, remove from heat, cover, leave till ready. It's good with raisins and dried apricots (simmered for 10 minutes separately to make them juicy, then stirred in) but he doesn't have a pincer grip yet. The couscous clumps nicely into big balls so makes good finger food, although it goes everywhere when dropped on the floor. It also freezes really well.

First taste gave him "the shudder" but he kept eating, so must have liked it well enough. He also had some defrosted carrot puree, left from my early "does he really hate carrots?" experiment, but rejected it. So he had an apple/vanilla puree pot instead.

I also made a big batch of macaroni cheese for the freezer. Won't give you a recipe as it's hardly unusual! Fingers crossed he likes it.

No comments: