Tuesday, 13 May 2008

Reviewed: What should I feed my baby?


I have got lots of cook books some I love and others leave me uninspired. Of course having a baby opens up a whole new genre (be still my heart) but are the reams of baby cook books worth the money? And, as a BLW family, are they any use?

Overview:

This book is written my nutritionist (and mother) Suzannah Olivier. The larger portion of it is given over to guiding you through the nutritional mine field of what your child needs and why. There are recipes from 4 months to 2 years.

What I liked:
  • I like the accessibility of this book. I started reading it on a long car journey and flicked through reading the odd page here and there. As the sections are succinct you can dip in and out of it like this, reading only the part which interests you at that point in time.
  • The information is level headed and easy to understand. Having read a few books about nutrition when at uni I know they can be a little cumbersome but this is written in plain English.
  • There aren't any areas left unexplored, IMO. The book covers introduction of foods, allergies, vitamins and minerals, food hygiene, what your baby does NOT need, food labels to name but a few.
  • The recipes are yummy! There are even suggestions for birthday menus.
  • It is well illustrated, I'm a sucker for a monkey.

What I didn't like:
  • Well, not much really. Would have prefered more recipes but then I always feel like that!

What about the recipes?
  • Yes, there are puree recipes (use them as sandwich fillings) but these are only a small proportion of the sum total.
  • The recipes are sorted into age ranges and at the beginning of each section it tells you which foods are safe to introduce (the kind of thing I love).
  • I have tried a few and found them all to be easy to follow and a hit with Missy Moo, which is the main thing.
Worth the money?
  • Absolutely yes! I will be recommending it whole heartedly to my friends.

Happy Days,

Kat x

4 comments:

caramama said...

Thanks for the review! I'll be looking into this book. I'm always looking for more recipes for the Pumpkin!

Kat said...

There are more in the pipeline, as you can see I have a big ole stack of them! K x

Holly said...

I LOVE this book, I used it to wean my now 2.5 year old and am about to start on my 5 month old. It is the perfect book for me - I love the in sequence program and the section on wonder foods. I don't think I have even used any of the recipes yet - it just inspired me with ideas and enthusiasm for giving my children the best start possible.

Kat said...

Hi Holly, Thanks for getting in touch (I am a total comment junkie!). I completely agree with what you said and I think inspiring is a perfect description. Good luck with starting your baby on solids - is it any easier second time around? Kat x