Friday, 14 December 2007

Grandma's in town.

Hello! Sorry we haven't posted for a couple of days - Grandma payed an unexpected visit.
Food News:
Skin on? I decided to leave the skin on Millie's veg the other day once I'd scrubbed them. I reasoned that as they were organic and clean there couldn't be any reason to peel them. Millie did not agree. Somehow parsnips and carrots weren't as nice or easy to chew unpeeled. Courgettes remain a favourite skin on or off.
Pasta isn't very interesting. Millie loses interest in the pasta quite quickly so last night I mixed some with soup and she enjoyed it much better. A bonus is that it was not as messy as letting her have soup from a spoon. As I have had great success with this soup I shall share my closely guarded recipe at the bottom of this post. Finding things to mix with pasta could be tricky. I have a tomato allergy and so don't use them in any of my cooking. Tomatoes belong to the Deadly Nightshade Family, along with potatoes, aubergines and peppers (which I won't be introducing until nine months), and are a common allergen. I'm thinking that classic purees will make good 'sauces', what do you think?
Peel, chop and roast up a butternut squash until soft.
Heat 50g butter over medium heat.
Add: 1 onion sliced, 1 carrot diced, 1 garlic chopped, 1tsp ginger chopped, 2 cloves, 2 cardamom seeds, 1/2 tsp ground cumin, 1/2 tsp ground coriander, 1/2 tsp garam masala, 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, 1/4 tsp ground white pepper (I buy spices from the Indian Supermarket not normal one they're cheaper and nicer).
Fry for about 5 minutes stirring constantly so the spices don't stick and clump.
Add 2 litres of hot chicken or veg stock and the roasted squash.
Simmer for a while.
Blend until smooth.
Add yoghurt to serve.
Eat with lashings of bread and butter.
Keep sleeves out of soup.
**For babies: I cut out the dairy and use salt free stock (homemade or from Free From aisle)**
Happy Days,
Kat x

1 comment:

Cate said...

Good things we've tried with pasta are:
pesto
"carbonara" of double cream, parmesan cheese and some baco bits
creme fraiche with a bit of (black) pepper

HTH!
Cate
http://hannahledweaning.blogspot.com