Saturday, 1 December 2007

and Millie too.

Oh dear, it must be going around! Millie has a cold and horrible cough. Apart from that, and a high temperature, she's happy in herself so we still had food today.

Lunch was sweet potato and carrot with some mango (a bit orange perhaps - will she end up looking like David Dickinson?). Supper was parsnip, carrot and some papaya. The papaya came from my reduced fruit shopping and did not go down well with Millie or DH. I decided to try some banana instead! I have been letting a couple of bananas go black over the last week (great for my avacado) to avoid a repeat of No Poo Week. Millie had a small stick which she ate happily, only spitting out the merest of morsels.

I need your opinions. Millie is having about 6 - 8 steamed veg chips at each meal (lunch & supper). She is surprisingly good at getting this into her tummy so about 80% of this is getting swallowed. She also has a little fruit and water. As far as I can tell she is taking the same amount of milk if not a little more. Am I giving her too much solid or should I chill out and let her get on with eating? Answers on a postcard or in the comments section. Cheers!

Happy Days,

Kat x

4 comments:

Mel_x said...

Kat,

I have been told repeatedly that a bf baby won't overeat. So go for it.

There were days a few weeks in when George would eat a whole butternut squash in one sitting! Terrifying, but with his weight issues he obviously needed it!

love

Mel x

mumlollipop said...

Hi Kat,

Enjoying the new blog!

In my experience they will eat as much as they want - be it loads or nothing! My philosophy has always been to let Jacob eat as much as he wants (so keep offering food until he stops) and not to force food on him if he doesn't want it.

This seems to work for us, HTH
Laura (& Jacob 11 months) x

Laura McIntyre said...

I would go with the let her decide when to stop eating, Eilidh sometimes would eat big amounts. Think thats the thing about BLW, you are not trying to force a set amount (like 1 jar) down there throat making them finish it but just letting them choose the amount

Kat said...

Thanks for the advice guys!

As you will see from the blog I stopped stressing about amounts. When she was ill she lost her appetite and has now regained it with gusto!

You are right about not forcing food down - it feels so good that food is an enjoyable time of bonding rather than an exercise in emptying a portion down her throat.
Even when we bottle feed her she often leaves some and sticking with BLW principles that is fine by us.

Kat x